Incoming News


A primary school nurse was driving through a country lane about six weeks after Myra Hindley was supposedly pronounced dead. It was night time and the nurse's car was suddenly hit in the back by another vehicle
The woman driver who hit her got out of her car and came to talk to the nurse. The nurse looked carefully, recognised the woman as Myra Hindley and said: "Oh my God you're Myra Hindley."

The woman burst into tears and replied "you can't say that, you can't say that" and drove off hurriedly.


The nurse however, noted the registration number of the car and upon returning home called the police. She recounted what had happened, telling them that it was "Myra Hindley" at the wheel of the other car.

The police visited the nurse the following day but rather than assist her with noting an accident, they scared and intimidated her. They asked her to withdraw the accident claim and report, and suggested instead that the incident had "never happened".


The primary school nurse was just a normal, law-abiding person and by now she was very scared although still certain of her facts – that even though Myra Hindley was believed by the world to be dead – it had been her driving the car that had hit her.


Regardless of her story, the police continued to intimidate the nurse and she was frightened into taking any further action.


However, unknown to the police, the nurse had reported the incident to a friend of the family who had in turn passed it on to a school friend who was a local journalist.


The journalist took the story to a major tabloid paper who was at first very interested but the following day told his fellow journalist that the story of Hindley being alive "had to be buried".


Despite this, within a day or so, orders from "the top" were given to publish a story on how the "ashes of Myra Hindley had been found."


That story made all the papers in February 2003 and threw many off the scent. Now, to all intent and purposes, Hindley was proven to be dead because her ashes had been found on the very Moors where children had been killed.

Police digging for the bodies of Hindley's victims on the same moor where her ashes were said to have been scattered


What is interesting is that the car incident happened six miles away from the residence of the priest that converted Myra Hindley to Catholicism and who later committed burial rites on her.

What is further interesting is the location of a convent very close by. Is Myra Hindley in that convent living a clandestine life away from society?


Not satisfied with the tale of ashes being discovered and believing the story of the nurse, the journalist called Lord Longford's son and informed him that the ashes of Myra Hindley had been found. The journalist taped the conversation. The words from Longford's son echoed in the journalists ears: "If you believe that you believe anything".


It was time to look further into this extraordinary story - what emerged would be enough to shock anyone.


Hindley's child victims met a brutal end, but for Myra Hindley 'death' came peacefully on the 15th November 2002.


The Moors murderer 'died' in a quiet hospital room with a priest at her bedside - far away from the bleak spot where she and her lover Ian Brady callously dumped the bodies of the young innocents all those years ago.


She was understood to have given orders that she was not to be kept alive artificially if she lapsed into a coma. She also ordered that none of her organs should be used for transplant and said she wanted to be cremated and have her ashes scattered at a secret location.

Hindley's coffin is carried into the crematorium


The low-key funeral took place at a crematorium on the outskirts of Cambridge. A Council spokesman at the time, John Roebuck, said: "Everybody has the right to a proper funeral."


None of Hindley's family was with her when she died.


The cause of death was described as respiratory failure. A Prison Service source said at the time: "There is no doubt her condition has been brought on by heavy smoking."

 The police kept guard over her body.

The general secretary of the Prison Officers' Association, Brian Caton, said at the time: "The police may be worried about some of the ghoulish people in our society. It would be a matter for the police to make sure the body stays safe. They would want to ensure those ghouls don't try to flog pictures of the body."


The hospital made plans to incinerate all the bedding used by Hindley so none of it could be collected by souvenir hunters.


In the years prior to her death, Hindley had won over a small band of high-profile campaigners, including the late Lord Longford who had pressed for her release from prison.

Methodist Minister Peter Timms, a former governor of Maidstone jail, purportedly said Hindley's treatment was a "scar on the judicial system". He added: "I think she had been treated grossly unfairly in comparison to other life sentence prisoners."


Following her death, a statement from the Prison Service said: "Myra Hindley died following respiratory failure. Her next of kin have been informed. There will now be a coroner's inquest, as is routine with any prisoner who dies in custody."


Hindley had been taken to the hospital from nearby Highpoint Prison where she was serving a life sentence. The reports from the Prison Service recorded she had severe breathing problems. Doctors expected her to die immediately and she was given the last rites. But Hindley rallied slightly and spent the afternoon drifting in and out of consciousness. All of that was according to the Prison Service Records.


A priest was called to her bedside again shortly before the end. After her 'death', Hindley's body was taken to the hospital mortuary.

Hindley was a lifelong chain-smoker


Hindley as, a chain smoker, had spent several nights at the hospital in February after collapsing in her cell with a suspected heart attack. She also had angina and brittle- bone disease. She refused for years to quit her 40-a-day smoking habit.

Officially she died on 15th November 2002, and the cause of death on her death certificate was given as ‘pneumonia.’ This is quite easily diagnosed and treated by antibiotics. There was nothing in her prison medical report that suggested she ever had pneumonia.


Is it believable someone of 60 years of age would die of this?


Two years prior to her death, Hindley underwent an operation for a brain aneurysm. An examination of hospital records shows no trace of any complaint for respiratory illness. The Prison Service medical records also contain no form of complaint or treatment for respiratory illness.


In December of 2001 Hindley ordered her lawyers that in the event she was hospitalised and/or in a coma, she was not to be kept alive by artificial means but more importantly, she prohibited the use of any of her organs for transplant.

The plan for her to be pronounced dead had been put into place two year previously. She made sure that there would be no betrayal of the plan by giving her lawyers such strict instructions regarding her body.


Such orders were to ensure the plan would succeed.


The school nurse was not wrong.


A post mortem 'report' was indeed prepared and handed to the Greater Suffolk coroner Peter Dean. The police said: "The post mortem has been completed and the results will now be passed to the coroner."

"Her body will remain at the West Suffolk hospital pending that hearing."


Police refused to reveal any further details about Hindley's cause of death at the time.


Within a day of her 'death' the police and Prison Service officials made a statement, anxious "to be rid of her as soon as possible".

Negotiations over a speedy cremation - with her ashes to be scattered at a secret location - were continued the day after her 'death' with family members, including Hindley's 79-year-old mother, Nellie, who was in poor health at a nursing home in the Manchester area.


Although somewhat irregular, the Coroner Peter Dean gave permission for the body to be cremated at Cambridge.


We do not know which firm of funeral directors was engaged with driving Hindley's body the short distance to the crematorium from the hospital where she died. That information was deemed so sensitive only a handful of senior prison service and Home Office officials were privy to it.


Or was it because funeral directors would have had to inspect the body?


According to reports seen, the firm had to be hired by an increasingly desperate prison service from a location some 200 miles away "somewhere in the north" after 20 funeral directors in the Bury St Edmunds area, where she died, had declined to handle the ceremony.


Hindley was so noxious, it seems, that even the presence of her corpse for a few minutes in the back of one's hearse was too dangerous for comfort.


That is of course what the Prison Service wanted the public to believe.


Nick Armstrong, from an independent family firm of funeral directors in Halesworth, Suffolk, was prepared to admit that the prison service, perhaps mindful that it might have a difficult task on its hands, had started contacting funeral companies a year before. His firm, like the rest, said no.


"We declined as soon as we were approached, in 2001. Basically we didn't feel comfortable doing that, we knew that public emotions would be running quite high on this so we felt it was in our best interest to say no. It puts us in quite an awkward position to be honest, because we are here to help people at the time they need us the most."


Fred West, notes Nick Armstrong, caused nothing like such a fuss in burial as Hindley (though West's request to be buried in his home village churchyard beside his parents was quietly altered by his children to a discreet cremation service and undisclosed disposal).


So the plan to 'bury' Myra Hindley was in its final stages in 2001 according to Armstrong. Yet Myra Hindley, according to an ex life prisoner who had been interviewed, had her hair permed and styled and showed no sign of death.

Twelve people attended the funeral, including her priest, her mother, her niece Sharon Scott, her brother-in-law William Scott, the lawyers Andrew McCooey and Edward Fitzgerald, her friend Trish Forrester and her former lover Nina Wilde.


Father Michael Teader, who knew the Catholic convert when he was prison chaplain, would decide where to scatter the ashes secretly.

"What happens to her ashes will be decided by me and probably her close relatives and the prison authorities," he stated.


He continued: "I have known Myra Hindley since she arrived at Highpoint. I had a very professional relationship with her. I just hope that through our relationship she came to see God better and also see herself better."

He added: "The Myra I knew is not the Myra that I read about in the papers. She was a woman who was fully aware of the errors and mistakes she had made. She was very self-aware - and remorseful for the damage she had caused her family and the families of her victims."


Hindley, Father Teader said, drew up plans for her funeral two years previous saying she only wanted Father Michael and 11 friends and relatives to attend, including her brother-in-law Bill Scott and niece Sharon.

The plan for the 'death of Myra Hindley' was designed when the Home Office understood that she had to be released sooner or later.

Hindley's prison paperwork


The left-of-centre daily The Guardian argued that Hindley, who converted to Catholicism and was receiving a university degree in prison, should have been released years ago - pointing out that at her trial the judiciary recommended she serve a maximum 25 years behind bars.


In fact the trial judge Fenton J had only said in his sentence remarks that she should serve "a very long time."


But she was imprisoned for a further 11 years, during which time four British home secretaries, including incumbent David Blunkett, insisted she remain in jail until her death.


"Sentencing is a judicial process, not a political exercise. It should be set openly, publicly and fairly, not secretly by politicians, permanently under pressure from public opinion," said TheGuardian.

Legislation was due in 2003 by the European Court with regards to 'lifers' and the maximum terms they should serve. This would have caused public outcry if Myra had been able to get out of prison, due to the overwhelming public opinion that in her case 'life should mean life'.


She only had four pall-bearers, and they carried her coffin easily. Was it empty?


A Prison Service source said: "Myra Hindley did not say exactly where she wanted her ashes placed because she was worried that news might leak out.


"Instead, she left it to the judgement of Father Michael to scatter them in a peaceful and secret place where he sees fit. She knew that he would never betray her and she could rely on him to take the secret of her last resting place to her own grave."


Father Micheal Teader can be found at the Sisters of Mercy Convent in Haverhill only six miles from the incident involving Myra Hindley.


There is no real hard fast evidence that Myra Hindley actually died.

'Hindley's' ashes were scattered on the moor where her victims once lay a rather odd place to say the least.


All the bedding at the hospital had been burnt, the private room where she was kept cleaned, and evidence revealed that Police Forensics had checked that any sign Hindley had been there had to be erased.

The room was then redecorated twice.


The money Myra Hindley left upon her 'death', although willed to a number of charities, had only been accepted by the Sisters of Mercy Convent. Her jewellery, photos, cards, clothes, a Westlife CD, stereo system, a plastic rosary and pin/cash credits of £501.42, were also given to Father Teader.


The 'ashes' from the cremation were not passed to the family but handed to the Prison Service who carried the urn late at night in a prison service van.

The oven which took the coffin was immediately serviced and cleaned so that not a single trace of DNA would be found.


Those orders came from the Home Secretary.


Hindley used the name of Christine Charlton when she was admitted to hospital in 2000 and continued to use the name for some time.


A life sentence prisoner stated that Hindley was a long-time admirer of both Bobby and Jackie Charlton and adopted their surname.


£1,308.90 was spent on measures needed specifically for Hindley's funeral such as the hire of crash barriers, floodlighting and staff overtime because the ceremony had to take place outside normal working hours.

Sue Doolan, the Governor of HM Prison Highpoint North, thanked hospital staff for their care of Hindley. In an unusual letter dated December 20 2002, Mrs Doolan wrote: "Thank you also for the kind words regarding the care and professionalism of my staff during this most difficult period... However, none of this would have been possible without the commitment and professionalism of your staff. In particular the ward sister who stayed on past the end of her shift and (word blanked) were absolutely outstanding. Would you please pass on my most sincere thanks to all of your staff who helped to keep the dignity and decency of a very sick woman."


The paperwork had to be right in the event anyone investigating would discover anomalies that are in fact self-evident.


The rules regarding life sentence prisoners would have meant that ultimately Hindley had to be released. No Home Secretary would have survived the fallout of such a release.

The only way ahead was to kill off Myra Hindley and for her to be forgotten, living incognito, where she would be no threat to society.


That plan would have succeeded were it not for the school nurse and a chance accident only six miles from where Myra Hindley lived until October 2011.


On the 9th July 2012 her former lover Ian Brady will be seen live for the first time in almost twenty years when he appears before the Mental Health Tribunal at Ashworth Hospital.

No doubt Hindley will be watching.